Aim: Exploring history and learning about the Holocaust though the moving story of Anne Frank
Duration: 70 – 90 min.
Number of participants: 5 – 20
- Getting to know the life of Anne Frank, a Jewish girl whose diary of her family’s years in hiding during the German occupation of the Netherlands is a classic of war literature;
- Understand the reality Jews were facing during the Holocaust;
- Explore and understand better the terms Holocaust, Discrimination, Prejudice and Stereotypes;
- Experience the house Anne lived in;
- Encourage participants to write.
- For facilitator: computer, internet connection, open website from the links in the description part. The facilitator is advised to have a look at the links prior to the activity in order to prepare.
- For participants: computer/tablet/phone, internet connection.
The facilitator starts by asking the participants if and how much they are familiar with the story of Anne Frank and her diary. Upon their answers the facilitator shares the importance of her dairy and how it became a classic in the world literature, being translated in more than 70 languages. If the participants are not familiar with her story and the book, the facilitator plays them a video (https://youtu.be/7o8jSbCanv0 ). After the video, a brief discussion should follow, where participants share their thought and feelings. For this discussion, the facilitator will use the method World Café, bringing up 4 key words and divide participants into 4 groups where each group gets one word to talk about: Holocaust, Discrimination, Prejudice and Stereotypes. After talking in groups (approx. 10 minutes), participants get back in the session and share what they have discussed in the groups. Once the discussion ends, the facilitator shows a presentation from Google Arts and Culture discovering more facts about the Frank family. (https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/2AJCtLmxVrkeKA ), followed by a virtual tour in the house of Anne Frank (https://artsandculture.google.com/streetview/anne-frank-s-family-home-entry-floor/2QHvMIIZ-TGBBw?sv_lng=4.884227096520752&sv_lat=52.37515789137885&sv_h=151.2484436035156&sv_p=0&sv_pid=S5FwIamfO5cAAAQrDCFOjg&sv_z=0.35993198884791167 )
- Participants are familiar with the Holocaust as an important part of the history;
- Participants are familiar with the story of Anne Frank;
- Gained knowledge about the reality Jews were facing in that time;
- Experienced virtually the house of the Frank family.